Sunday 12 October 2008

Been awhile since I updated this - but there haven't been too many films to add.

01. The Dark Knight - still number one, and judging by the rest of the years releases, I can't see this changing.

02. Iron Man - recently saw this on DVD; while The Dark Knight may be the better film, this is the best comic adaptation ever - at least until Watchmen is released next year.

03. The Incredible Hulk

*new* 04. Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - what a great film; completely over the top, but great fun, with amazing action pieces.

05. Dan In Real Life

*new* 06. The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon's Emperor - And this slips in above Indiana Jones; like Hellboy, another great fun and action-filled film, although the super-cute yetis may be the best animated monster of the year!

07. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crytsal Skull

08. Harold and Kumar Escape From Guatanamo Bay

09. Get Smart

10. Hancock

11. Kung Fu Panda

12. Forgetting Sarah Marshall

13. Sex & The City

14. Meet The Spartans

15. Speed Racer

16. What Happens In Vegas

17. The Mist

18. 27 Dresses

19. Cloverfield

20. Juno


Now, I have Wanted to see soon; my wife saw it recently and was impressed, so I'm hopeful that it's good. If it can make it into the Top 5 (of which I'm not so certain) that would make a Top 5 consisting solely of comic book adaptations. Is that because I am a geek, or have comic book adaptations really become that good?

3 comments:

Mindwarp said...

Say it ain't so!

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/10/20/the-bleak-ending-of-watchmen-changed/

Nicholas Yankovec said...

Who knows? It's quite possible they have changed the ending, it's not something I'm against, as long as it's done for the right reasons. If it's deconstructing the super-hero film genre rather than the super-hero comic genre, then maybe a less fantastic ending may be a good move; aliens are found frequently within comics, but rare within the films.

I'm just happy about the pirate story; I read that it would be included in the DVD release, whether inserted into the film itself or as an extra, I don't know.

Mindwarp said...

But I always felt that the fact that Ozymandias basically conducted human vivisection experiments in order to create the squid, and was able to have all involved in the project killed in order to preserve the 'greater good' really drew the parallel between him and Dr. Manhattan. They were both completely detached from humanity - one because his intellect convinces him that he is working for the greater good, and one because his powers make humanity irrelevant.

Yeah, I'm happy that they're including the 'story within the story' too. I thought that they would end up dropping that.